Blackjack is one of Wild Jack’s most popular games. It’s no wonder, with over 40 variations on offer. There are a few slightly odd blackjack variations as well. In Double Exposure, you see both of the dealer’s cards! This makes it easy to decide if you should hit or stand with 19!
Blackjack is actually quite simple. We’ll give you a quick overview of blackjack using basic game play.
You get two cards face up and the dealer gets one card face up and one card face down.
You must play first. If you take a card that sends your total above 21, you lose. In this situation at an online casino, the dealer takes no cards at all. At a land-based casino, you’ve lost by exceeding 21, but the dealer takes cards to determine the winner between the other players and the house. Even if the dealer ultimately goes over 21 and loses to the other players, you have still lost because players go first and if you ”bust” you lose.
So, as the player, you have six choices:
- Hit, meaning take one more card.
- Stand, take no more cards.
- Double Down, meaning doubling your bet and taking only one more card. You can make this play only with your first decision.
- Split, meaning to separate your cards, and play each as a separate hand. When you split, you must make an equal bet on the second hand.
- Take insurance, meaning make a bet equal to your original bet that the dealer will have 21 with her face up and face down cards together. You can make this play only with your first decision, if the dealer is showing an Ace.
- Surrender, meaning give up your hand and losing only half your bet. You can make this paly only with your first decision.
Since the largest set of point cards is for ten points—the ten through the King—it is often the best strategy to stand with as few as 12 points. A ten point card will cause you to bust. This strategy often applies when the dealer stands a good chance to bust on her first or second card. This is because…
- The dealer must hit on 16 or below and stand on 17 or above.
We recommend that you read the excellent blackjack tutorials at Wild Jack to learn the exact rules for each variation. The rules are simple at the basic level but ultimately winning or losing often depends on knowing the subtleties as well.
We also recommend playing in free play mode to get used to each variation. Wild Jack online sets no limit on free play so use it as part of your gaming strategy to increase your skill level.
The payout rate for correct play in blackjack is more than 98%. You will often come out a winner if you know the variations well and make the correct decisions based on strategy rather than hunch.